Bullivant Houser Bailey has developed extensive experience in product liability defense through decades of working closely with local, national and international manufacturers, sellers, and suppliers. We combine our substantial courtroom experience and technical skills to help product manufacturers minimize risk and partner with our clients to avoid future claims. Manufacturers, sellers, and suppliers call on our team of attorneys to represent their interests because of our knowledgeable and experienced grasp of one of the most technically complex areas of litigation.
Our product liability experience includes:
- Consumer products
- Children's products (including child car seats, toys, and recreational equipment)
- Firearms (shotguns, rifles, and handguns)
- Heavy equipment (log loaders, tractors, trailers, excavators, industrial rock crushing, sanitation equipment, and scaffolding)
- Light machines and equipment (saws, meat grinders, lawn mowers, wheelchair lifts, gas fireplaces and furnaces, construction, and painting equipment)
- Medical devices (orthopedic bone screws, implantable pumps, breast implants, and heart valves)
- Pharmaceuticals (including over-the-counter supplements)
- Surgical equipment
- Toxic exposures (tobacco, chronic toxic encephalopathy/"painters syndrome," brain damage, isocyanate-induced reactive airways syndrome, multiple chemical sensitivities disorders, chronic fatigue syndrome, asbestosis, silicosis, and accidental releases of bromine, pyridine, and fertilizers)
- State and Federal regulatory compliance (including consumer product safety commission proceedings and defense of claims under California Prop 65 statutes)
- Vehicles and vehicular equipment (automobiles and components, tires, diesel engines, and seat belts)
Product liability issues are constantly changing and the number of lawsuits in this area is on the rise. In an effort to maintain the highest levels of expertise and awareness, members of Bullivant's product liability practice frequently make presentations and write articles on important product issues. Our attorneys wrote the Oregon chapter of the Defense Research Institute Compendium of Product Liability Defenses.
Bullivant is active in several product liability industry groups, including: Product Liability Advisory Council; American Bar Association's Product Liability Committee and Toxic, Hazardous Substance and Environmental Law Committee; Oregon State Bar Association's Toxic Tort Section; Defense Research Institute Drug and Medical Device Committee; and the International Association of Defense Counsel Product Liability and Toxic and Hazardous Substances Litigation Committee.