Bullivant's Construction & Development Group is dedicated to helping our clients succeed in every phase of real estate development and construction, from land acquisition through the completion of construction and thereafter. Our goal is the same as our clients: to help deliver an on-time and successful development project. In the event that development or construction bring claims or issues that give rise to litigation, we are available to bring decades of accumulated experience and knowledge as informed litigators that prosecute and defend claims for our clients, from both the developer and contractor perspective.
Our attorneys bring more to our clients than their legal experience. Several of our group members have had some form of direct industry experience or were construction professionals prior to pursuing a legal career. We have experience facing the same challenges as our clients, having spent time in job trailers and partnering as facilitators on projects. Our distinct understanding of this client perspective makes us uniquely equipped to offer effective and practical solutions on any construction-related issue, whether common or complex.
Our team of attorneys represent both public and private owners, developers, contractors, sureties, subcontractors, vendors, and suppliers. Our construction and development experience includes:
- Assisting owners and developers with land use & real property acquisitions, approvals and entitlement processes;
- Counseling owners, contractors, and design professionals on all business matters related to the development of real property and construction;
- Representation of colleges in contracting for and delivery of their projects and capital programs;
- Representation of public owners with contracting, bidding and construction disputes;
- Representation of institutional owners in large, multi-state capital improvement programs, including construction contracting, selection of design professionals, and insurance programs;
- Sureties, performance and payment bonds, for single and multiple projects;
- Knowledge in emerging trends in the construction industry, including sustainable construction and integrated project delivery;
- Assisting contractors with the structuring of business entities and with corporate and tax issues;
- Providing training for client personnel in the use of dispute resolution processes during projects;
- Providing risk assessment services and risk avoidance advice relating to insurance, employment and contracting needs;
- Representing owners, contractors, subcontractors and design professionals in all phases of litigation and arbitration and construction claims and disputes, including resolution of on-site issues
Our group is also uniquely qualified to assist clients in all phases of green construction and development, housing two of the first LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) accredited attorneys in the Pacific Northwest. This niche area of expertise provides a distinct and significant advantage to many of our clients. Through this accreditation, we regularly counsel public and private owners in their efforts to achieve green building and sustainable development practices. More specifically, we advise and educate our clients on the requirements of green building and prepare contracts to target LEED certification.